Tuesday, 3 March 2015

New...

Bringing a bit of Spring into the house is always welcome, especially when it is in the form of the scented narcissus.. Bridal crown....lovely.



 Motivated by the impending Spring, I have been having a big change around in the house and the pull for stripped pine is strong... A year ago this would have seen the paint pot....

An old pine dresser base, found in a barn, now drying out after years of neglect.


Two cupboards either side of three graduated drawers.
Simple panelling on the doors and sides.



To say it has been a little ravished by woodworm in the past is an understatement, the top and parts of the base have tunnels in the wood as opposed to holes....
However, long since gone and now given a good soak of fluid to make extra sure, the signs of age are still there making it an attractive, worn, country piece.

It will be staying for now until I fall in love with something else... The beauty of antique dealing I suppose.


Continuing on the old pine line....


A neat brass locking handle sits well on this lovely glazed cupboard.
Perfect for crockery in a kitchen with plate restrainer lip on the shelves and cup hooks underneath.



I would love to keep this but unfortunately I have no where for it.

Talking of new things and a move away from furniture, another birthday hit me. 
Lots of lovely presents and lots of Labrador themed cards of course and my favourite is this one, from a couple with a wicked sense of humour!


Haha!

And....another new thing for me was a visit to the beautiful Northumberland coast to meet a friend, Christine, who has a cottage right on the beach. 
The weather was glorious, beautiful sunshine, a little breezy, but the skies were so blue and the miles of sandy beach so clean. 



The dramatic outline of Dunstanburgh castle in the distance...


Miss Ottie was in her element!



She never stopped running, even on the way back to the cottage. Meeting other dogs and finding another black lab to play with made for one happy dog.

Christine rents out her cottage which is a dog friendly, two bed roomed, Northumberland stone barn conversion with Northumbria coast and country cottages. 

Courtyard Cottage.....Dunstan Steads, Embelton, Northumberland.

The views are stunning and the farm buildings delightful.




I think I need to book in and recharge my batteries....

Julie x

10 comments:

  1. I think I shall have to read all that again just to take it all in... one thing I do know Miss Ottie has grown up gosh she's lovely xxx
    Hugs Lynn (busy reading your post again ) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just look at that beautiful girl at the beach.She has a bit of curl to her coat? Just like my sweet lass had too...
    Love the dresser, every single worm hole tells a tale of its history. Would the cupboard not fit on the dresser. It is lovely too.
    I think the shipping cost would be a bit much to send it to me! Ha!
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes I forgot a belated Happy Birthday to Miss Ottie too. The card is cute.
    S xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post! I love old, worn wood and have never been a great painter, I'm too lazy I think...What a wonderful setting for a cottage, right on the beach, a perfect get-away. Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no - now you tell me! I've just painted my first Annie Sloan piece! Still, it's a nice drab, mousey brown and so streaky and blobby that with a good rubbing down with soft wax (thank you Cleadon Antiques and Gifts) it looks like the original finish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Julie, belated birthday wishes. Looks like you had a lovely time. Your friend's cottage looks like a really relaxing place. Love your pieces of pine, it is quite refreshing to have some unpainted wood sometimes! Much love, Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. A belated happy birthday! I haven't painted any of my wooden furniture - I do like it as it was made with it's natural wear & tear.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "The Cloth Shed" has been included in our Sites To See #435. Be assured that we hope this helps to point many new visitors in your direction.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2015/04/sites-to-see-435.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Julie, just popped in to say hello! I hope you are well and busy with your work. I have been a bit negligent with my blog, but busy otherwise. Lots of love to you, Linda xx

    ReplyDelete