Thursday 14 April 2011

Cutwork , Needlework and Easter Fair....


Vintage paper cut work of two birds in a lovely round wooden frame.......


Tins and French coat hooks....


Naive embroidery picture.....

"No matter where I serve my guests
It seems they like my kitchen best"


Spot the embroidered lobster in the top right hand corner and the clock on the shelf showing 5pm....time for tea!


An unusual sampler done by Elizabeth Cornock in 1935 aged a mere 70 years old...



On a piece of fine unbleached linen.....


Little stitched vignettes.... flowers, trees, a windmill and a Spring chicken with a verse underneath.....


Obviously her eyesight was still good enough to manage these tiny stitches.......I wonder how old she was when she did her first sampler?
Born in 1865 when samplers were a popular gauge of a young girls ability to sew and were often done at school....she might have been as young as 10 years old.


 Over the last few days, I have been busy making, sewing and painting for this weekend's   Easter Gift Fair
Three floors of Art, Craft, Gift and Food in the Grandstand Exhibition Halls of The Racecourse, Hexham, Northumberland. With spectacular views over three counties on a fine day.....so fingers crossed for sunshine and clear skies this weekend.



 Everything packed in boxes ( smugly organised for a change....usually it is all last minute, throwing things into the car the night before! )



And bags printed and adorned with a simple, torn strip of fabric ribbon.....



Hope you all have a lovely weekend whatever you decide to do....

Finally a big thank you to those who leave lovely comments on my blog and another big thank you to all my new followers.... x

Julie x




13 comments:

  1. So many lovely things! I have to say I LOVE your bags, and your attention to detail! I'm seeing lovely linen shoppers printed the same way??....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What gorgeous treasures Julie, I love the samplers. I do love how you have finished your bags off with the stamp and the ribbon tied on the handle, gives a lovely finishing touch that people really appreciate. Good luck for the fair and have a fantastic weekend.
    Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment on my blog Julie. I de-feathered a lot of tickings when I lived in France but there had plenty of room outside to perform the job. Here I started outside but even so when brought indoors the whole place seemed to get covered with soft down - when I pulled a hairbrush through my hair it was full of feathers!

    You do find some lovely embroideries and I wish you well at the fair this weekend.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love the samplers, My Mum had the kitchen message in our kitchen when I was younger, and it's quite true...everyone always hung out in the kitchen. Your bags are lovely too. Good luck with your fair xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What lovely things and what a clever girl you are! Have a super-duper day. LLX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely samplers, I stitched quite a few in my younger days for all the family. The little brown bags are soooo profesional looking, I love them, Lucey xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all these little treasures. Fun to have pieces that are vintage!
    Like everyone else who has posted a comment, I also really love your bags. I hope you have a lot of fun at this weeks Easter Fair!
    Chris :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. good luck with the Easter Fair- I love the cutwork picture, and I have an absolute "thing" for round frames...my Dream House has a round window just above the front door!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the cutwork of two birds! Hope you have a great fair and Happy Easter!

    ~ Debi in Bellingham, WA

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the sampler very much. You are sure to have a great fair with all the lovely things you will have on your stall.
    The stamp looks great on the bags ;) Abby x

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely fair you are going to, like your paperbags..
    I really like old linen, here in Sweden we have a lot but I like the French linen even more..

    Have a lovely weekend!
    Hugs Tina

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely samplers! And love the bags you've done. Hope the Fair went well. Thanks for your comment - I'm exhausted now! Abby x

    ReplyDelete